What is Laser?
The word means “light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation”.
L : Light
A : Amplification
S : Stimulated
E : Emission
R : Radiation
What is the working principle in Laser Epilation?
Laser systems used with the purpose of epitalion work on the principle of “selective photothermolysis”. In other words, they select the tissue they target and cause a damage to that tissue which results in heat increase. The tissue that laser light choose is called “chromophor”. In epilation the chromophor is pigment melanin that gives its color to hair, in treatment of capillary vessels and varicose veins it is hemoglobin that carries oxygen molecule in blood, in treatment of wrinkles and skin rejuvenation (photorejuvenation or resurfacing), chromophor is water molecules in collagen which is supportive tissue of skin. Various type of lasers create lights at different wave lengths peculiar to these chromophors in tissues targetted in treatment. And thus, while causing change in or damage only to the targetted tissue, they don’t result in any change nearby tissues. Additionally, they don’t have carcinogenic effects while doing so because they contain many filters that filtrate rays which might be harmful.
What are the types used in Epilation?
Alexandrite (755 nm), Diod (810 nm), Ruby (694 nm) and long-pulsed Nd-Yag, used also for treating darker skin types, lasers are commonly used for the purpose of epilation. Among these are Alexandrite lasers more frequently preferred. While high success rate in right hair type choice, with wrong hair type (e.g. fluffy black hair) they could result in activation, in other words, an increase in hair especially on face. Choice of right hair type and energy value are the main principles for success in laser epilation. Laser types with built-in cooling devices (e.g. Alexandrite) allow for both more secure and quick treatment chance as well as being more comfortable in terms of patients. Hence, Alexandrite lasers are rather preferable.
The most important symptom that shows treatment is effective in laser epilation is the swelling seen around the hair right after treatment called “perifollicle edema”. Also there are some red spots with swelling. These swellings and red spots diminish in around 3 or 4 hours and completelly disappears in 24 hours. Treatment efficiency is considered low unless perifollicle edema occurs. Perifollicle edema appears more distinctly in strong and thick hair. It is seen generally less severe in thin and weak hair depending on sensitivity of skin.
Is the treatment painful?
While the pain felt during treatment is largely related to general sensitivity of people to pain, generally speaking, the treatment of regions with strong and dense hair is more painful as well as being so mild that doesn’t require anaesthesia. Some constitutions are scarcely effected by that while constitutionally sensitive people with low pain threshold can feel more pain. Sensitivity increases in large regions such as whole back and leg depending on length of treatment while being not at a level that prevents treatment.
Before treatment, hair in region of treatment must not have been pulled off by the root, such as by waxing, tweezing or epilation with needles, at least in last 1-2 months. It is necessary to wait until hair grows if any of these methods are applied. None of these methods should be applied between laser epilation sessions. Must be waited if applied. Part of hair outside can be shorthened by machine or razor-blade. Also, suntanning must be avoided before and after treatment and a high factor sun protector should be used.
Generally not a speacial precaution is required. If alexandrite type laser is used, part of hair outside is completely burned after treatment. While no hair remains in vicinity, it requires 20 days for hair inside the follicle to fall. Some hair, on the other hand, might fall on the night of treatment. As a general rule, it is necessary to be protected from sun and avoid suntanning before and after treatment.
What Are The Important Considerations In Laser Hair Removal?
- In Laser Hair Removal, the target is the melanin pigment which gives hair its color. Therefore, melanin pigment containing dense dark-colored hairs that will absorb more rays during the treatment the hair follicles this type of thermal damage (heat damage), are formed and permanent damage has occurred, so burning the hair follicle. In individuals with darker skin color the laser beam may be the target and may be damaged due to overheating (dark colors heat up more in the sun like). So in the treatment of individuals with darker skin color it is needed to work with low energy values so as not to cause severe burns. This is also the hair follicles to absorb less energy and decrease the effectiveness of treatment. Therefore, individuals with dark skin color (Fitzpatrick skin types IV and V) IPL or laser hair removal treatment with light-skinned person is lower than in a larger number of session for an effective treatment may be needed. In light-skinned people, because the skin melanin pigment absorb very little very little beam ings, bristles containing the same energy intensive pigment is worth much more than the skin glow and treatment activity to absorb the increases of beam. Therefore, because of its high energy values with the IPL and laser hair removal best results can be taken with light-skinned (Fitzpatrick skin types I and II) and dark hair colored people. In terms of the effectiveness of the treatment determination of your skin type and find out you have to seek advice from your doctor on this issue. By considering all these features, laser treatment is best to improve the effectiveness and ease of implementation in order to minimize the incidence of side effects in human skin according to the Fitzpatrick types. Six different parts of the energy that is used in the treatment of values for this classification are taken into account meantime.
Fitzpatrick Skin Types
- Entry type I : white; always burns, never tanning.
- Entry type II : White; lights usually hard tanned.
- Type III entry : White; turns on sometimes, moderately tanned.
- Entry Type IV : medium brown; rarely burns, easily tanned.
- Entry type V : dark brown; very rarely burns tan very easily.
- Entry type VI : Black; non-flammable, easily tanned.
- Remember, the effectiveness of the Laser Hair Removal treatment, skin type and hair color all of these capabilities, as well as genetic and hormonal structure of the person, whether or not it’s an additional disease, and treatment area (face, underarms, legs, etc.) can vary depending on many factors such as the number of sessions that have cut as in all other hair removal methods, Laser Hair removal is also possible. Approximately 5-8 sessions are sufficient, although 2 sessions short (such as leg or armpit area) or 10 sessions long (such as the face area).
- If you have a hormonal disorder which can cause any abnormal hair or when you are taking a medication that may be causing this, treatment will be more difficult and the number of sessions will be more as compared to normal individuals.
- If this kind of emerged later, especially, if we have suspicious characteristics and family with your physical energy to a dermatologist prior to use in reverse abnormal the hormone that signals your analysis it would be useful to have. It is related to Laser hair removal hair growth cycle in session ranges. Because the active phase is changed according to the region time between sessions also, according to the region can be lengthened or shortened. (For example, the face area 3-4 weeks, 4-6 weeks bikini and underarm, leg for 6-8 weeks.) Practically speaking, the hair in the area to come back again for a second session you are interested you will need to begin to grow and grow. In every session there will be a visible reduction in the hair during the treatment period.
- One other point to note is that epilation by laser, however, can provide success for those with dark colored hair; light yellow in color, thin (like a peach fuzz) that won’t be effective in hair growth. This hair glaze for methods such as waxing or laser hair removal can be tried. Not to grow again after the treatment it is not enough to burn just the hair body. for the permanent hair removal it is needed to burned and damaged with the hair root. Here, the laser light does this.
- Another important thing to remember at this point in terms of increasing the effectiveness of the treatment rather than long hairs to the root hair will absorb most of the energy transferred by the practitioner before treatment in order to be the necessity of shortening. Because the purpose of hair depilation is to burn the root not the hair itself.